This page lists the current openings at WHEDC.
Affordable Housing Program Manager Download PDF
REPORTS TO: President
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full Time / Exempt
LOCATION: Winter Haven, FL
To assist the public and private sector to grow a resilient, inclusive, and equitable economy in Winter Haven.
What we do
The WHEDC occupies a unique position in Winter Haven, best described as a mission-based private sector partner working for the benefit of community and economic growth. The WHEDC has the vision and the technical expertise to assist the community and WHEDC stakeholders with:
- Developing a land use and regulatory environment to create an inclusive economically thriving community in which existing and future businesses of all sizes and types can
- Assisting prospective businesses with site selection and development support
- Resource recruitment from regional, state, or national partners for economic development opportunities that position the community for the
- Guidance and organizational support for urban redevelopment, affordable housing, and workforce
- Exploration of emerging technological opportunities related to ‘Smart City’ ideals that can be supported by public and/or private sector community leaders as important investments for current and future
Who we are
The WHEDC is a private, non-profit economic development organization that leverages the power of partnerships and collaboration to align resources for community investment, growth, and development.
WHEDC seeks an individual with a passion for affordable housing to join its staff. This is a new position, and the selected candidate will have the opportunity to shape and refine the role and responsibilities of the position in accordance with the WHEDC Strategic Plan, the City of Winter Haven’s Housing Action Plan and the evolving needs of the community. The Affordable Housing Program Manager is responsible for managing projects and activities in multi-family and affordable housing, and community development activities that will contribute to affordable housing opportunities. The position will require coordination with a variety of community-based, public sector, and private sector stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent project management, collaboration and communication skills. The position requires developing and implementing marketing strategies across a variety of media, identification of development opportunities, land acquisition strategies, facilitating down payment assistance, structuring affordable housing development opportunities, and collaborating closely with city staff on land-use, zoning and infrastructure matters to enable the development of affordable housing.
Multifamily and Affordable Housing
Primary among the responsibilities will be strategic thinking, collaboration, and the ability to align public and private resources to significantly increase the supply of affordable housing and multifamily housing throughout the community, and to do so with specific emphasis on existing neighborhoods. Extensive knowledge of real estate development, affordable housing finance or closely related fields will be key to success.
- Work closely and collaborate with city partners, housing developers, non-profit organizations, and local institutions to implement major portions of the City’s Housing Action Plan.
- Organize, convene, and facilitate meetings, trainings, workshops, information sessions, and orientations, both virtually and in-person, as needed. Conduct research and gather/analyze data that supports programmatic outcomes and program Track progress on programmatic milestones.
- Work with City of Winter Haven, Winter Haven Community Redevelopment Agency, Local Housing Partnership of Winter Haven, Habitat for Humanity, Florence Villa CDC, Winter Haven Housing Authority, Heart for Winter Haven, and other community and faith-based organizations and local industry as needed to effectively execute on affordable housing and community development opportunities to benefit the community.
- Build and maintain mutually trusting relationships with and among partners including community organizations, businesses, government officials, anchor institutions, consultants, and
- Assume responsibility for special projects and other assignments, as
- Serve as member of external partner working committees across housing and economic development areas including in commercial districts and downtown.
- Examine recent plans and studies of the Winter Haven neighborhoods including CRA plans.
- Identify opportunities for adaptive re-use of properties which may include working with property owners and the city to initiate land-use and zoning changes (i.e. strict retail to mixed use, commercial to multifamily)
- Work with local institutional partners including Florence Villa CDC, Polk State College, Winter Haven Hospital and others, to understand and address affordable housing needs and redevelopment opportunities that could be beneficial to the institutions and the supply of affordable housing.
- Work with existing legacy industry and property owners to effectuate relocation/expansion as appropriate in a manner that would support development of affordable housing.
- Work with developers and other stakeholders to pursue redevelopment opportunities and strive to achieve successful developments that meet 21st century standards and the ideals of the community that expand Winter Haven’s affordable housing inventory.
- Constantly examine local real estate market conditions. Identify development challenges and responses to overcome challenges.
- Promote the use of affordable housing and economic incentives to overcome development challenges.
- Recruit prospective affordable housing developers to invest in affordable housing and mixed-use development opportunities in Winter Haven.
- Occasional out-of-town and overnight travel may be required.
- Periodic participation in Florida Housing Coalition, Florida Redevelopment Association and/or similar professional organizations to be determined as appropriate.
- Periodic evening and weekend work will be required to accommodate our stakeholders and strategic partners, including attendance at Downtown and Florence Villa CRA Advisory Committee meetings and CRA Board and City Commission meetings.
- Be cognizant of integration to smart city opportunities, technology, natural resources, and quality of life.
- Prepare and oversee grant applications and contracts for programs and technical activities, which may include administering government and private grants, consultant agreements, contracted partner organizations, and monitoring grant compliance and consultant performance.
Differentiating Knowledge and Skills
- Typical public sector policies and procedures.
- Federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations governing affordable housing programs.
- Basic principles of record keeping and records management.
- Local community issues and regional community resources available to citizens.
- Positive and effective use of social media.
- Interpreting and applying federal and state rules and regulations and City policies and procedures.
- Interpreting SHIP, HUD, CDBG, LIHTC and other state and federal housing programs and regulations.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, other community development agencies and the general public.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business and specialized software
- Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing; including public speaking and presentations.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in community development, economic development, housing development, urban planning, real estate development or related disciplines required.
- 3-5 years’ experience in multifamily or affordable housing development.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with stakeholders, community members and co-workers
- Experience building and maintaining relationships, networking, and collaborating effectively with community-based organizations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Excellent research, writing, editing and analytical
- Experience using and understanding data to inform decision
- Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail, timely reporting, and
- Demonstrated ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and to set priorities for a challenging
- Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Real Estate Urban Planning, Community Development or related
- Successful grant writing and administration
License and Certification
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License within 90 days of employment
- Cover Letter
- Resume detailing relevant affordable housing experience
- Minimum of three professional references
- Writing samples may be required of final candidates.
Email submissions only to: Contact@WHEDC.COM